Irish Aid Professor Father Michael Kelly HIV and AIDS Lecture
At this year’s live web event, as in previous years, the Irish Global Health Network facilitated Irish Aid’s Annual Father Michael Kelly HIV and AIDS Lecture. This year’s theme was Solidarity in the Face of HIV at a Time of Global Crisis
- Read more about Professor Father Michael Kelly’s life and work
- To pay tribute to Father Michael Kelly’s ongoing legacy, the IGHN has produced a compilation of lectures and presentations from 2006-2015, entitled HIV & AIDS – A Deep Human Concern. Download it here.
The lecture included a video address from Father Michael Kelly in Zambia, and was be moderated by broadcaster and entertainer, Dil Wickramesinghe.
This year’s event also featured a collaboration of youth choirs with the launch of an original music video by Africaid Zvandiri Youth Choir in Zimbabwe and the SpeakUp SingOut SUSO Youth Choir in County Kildare.
We heard from speakers in Ethiopia, South Africa, Ireland and Switzerland – speakers this year came from a variety of backgrounds, but all have one goal in common – solidarity in the face of HIV in their communities.
- Moderated by: Dil, Wickremasinghe, Journalist, Podcaster & Activist – Ireland
- Welcome by the Minister of State for Overseas Development Aid and Diaspora, Colm Brophy, TD – Ireland
- Professor Fr Michael Kelly, HIV and AIDS Advocate – Zambia
Father Michael is a renowned speaker and advocate on HIV and AIDS. He has authored several books and worked tirelessly to educate and promote safe behaviour among youth and those most at risk in Zambia, and across Africa.
- Dr. Lia Tadesse Gebremedhin, Minister of Health – Ethiopia.
Dr Lia is an obstetrician and gynecologist with extensive experience in healthcare leadership and hospital administration. She has worked in government, NGOs, academia and leading grant-funded programs.
- Saidy Brown, HIV/AIDS Activist – South Africa
Saidy is a 24 year-old young lady born with HIV. She has been a strong advocate for HIV and used her status to educate other people via social media. She works with various NGOs, such as Y+ South Africa and Network for Young People Living with HIV in South Africa.
- Marijke Wijnroks, Chief of Staff, The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria – Switzerland
- Ruairí de Búrca, Director General, Irish Aid at Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade – Ireland
Father Michael is a renowned speaker and advocate on HIV and AIDS, and has worked tirelessly to educate and promote safe behaviour among youth and those most at risk in Zambia, throughout sub-Saharan Africa, and much further afield. He recently received the Order of Distinguished Service Award from President Lungu of Zambia, in recognition of his contributions to the promotion of education, social justice and HIV/AIDs.